Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Monster Idaho white tail.


Well it was the 4th morning of my hunt we headed out before it was light out and got to the hunting place just after it got light out. Then we started walking up a old logging road and we got about half a mile up it walking EXTREMELY slow so that we wouldn't scare any deer and then all the sudden BANG...BANG...BANG somebody had just shot a large caliber gun up at the top of the mountain which was about 3/4 of a mile from us. So we just decided to keep heading up the hill anyways cause there were lots and lots of tracks up there so we kept going and then we saw this deer running up on the hill and then another one but they were both does. So we watched them run along ways up the hill and then we started walking up the logging road again. Then we saw a deer about 80 yards up the road walk off the dirt road but it was another doe so we walked up the road but it was not there so we walked farther up the road when suddenly I saw something move about 120 yards in front of me. So I sat down and rested my model 700 Remington 30-06 with a 3x9 Leupold scope on it and I looked through it at a big 4x4 buck walking down the hill so I clicked the safety off. I followed it down the hill through my scope but the big 4x4 buck never stopped so I let it go. Then it walked in the brush and I got mad at myself for not taking the shot at the biggest buck I had seen for the 4 days that I was hunting. So I just sat there and pretty soon crunch...Crunch...Crunch I heard something coming down the hill and then I saw this monster 5x5 coming down the hill. So I through the rifle up on him and rested my rifle on my knee and I was watching him for a while and then he went behind some brush. Then I aimed my rifle where he would be coming out. Sure enough I see his big rack coming through the brush and there he was at 60 yards walking so I let out a little whistle and he stopped so I click the safety off put the cross hairs behind his shoulder and pulled the trigger. He did a little jump ran 18 yards and fell there. I waited about 5 minutes calm down and then started walking down the hill we got up to the 225 pound monster 5x5 buck and then we got some pictures with him and then started the gutting process. Then we heard 3 gun shots go off and now this is only about 150 yards up the hill. Then my dad and I heard something running right towards us and pretty soon this big 5x4 buck runs 14 yards right passed us and we thought that was a little weird but cool and then we heard people talking up the hill from us and then we saw a guy walking towards us. He didn't know we were there and then when he got 100 yards away he looked up and saw us and then he came down and was looking at my buck and said congratulations and then he asked if we had seen a buck come through here. So we told him that we had one run right by us and we showed him right where it had gone to and then we saw it and he shot it and dropped it within 80 yards of my buck.


Thank you for reading this article about my first buck I hope you enjoyed it!


John Murphy




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good story

John Murphy said...

I better have been... It took me all night to write it up. LOL thanks!